I’m sorry I’m having to take another break from Bite Size Memoir. Bad back is limiting my computer time so I’ve had to be ruthless about priorities.
Welcome to Bite Size Memoir!
This is an opportunity for anyone and everyone to have a go at recording little bits of their own history and memories, in small manageable ‘bite’s of either 150 words (prose or poetry) or 10 x “I remember Statements”. Occasionally I might throw in other media such as photograph posts when either time is pressing or we need a change!
A summary of how it works and a few rules follows below.
Meantime, if you’re totally new to my blog and this idea of a memoir prompt, please have a read of Introducing the Bite Size Memoir Challenge where “I remember” statements are also explained. More of my thinking around the benefits of writing down your thoughts and memories is found here. All relevant posts are tagged with #BiteSizeMemoir on here and on Twitter. Recently I decided not to compile responses due to other commitments, so please look in recent post’s comment sections to read other people’s contributions contributions. (A couple of my favourite earlier compilations are First Jobs and Magic and Fairy Tales.)
Come back here though, for the most up to date rules and guidelines !
If you have any ideas or feedback including prompt suggestions I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.
The Bite Size Memoir Challenge Guidelines
1. Topics will be posted every two weeks via my blog and Twitter (using the hashtag #BiteSizeMemoir – You don’t need a blog or Twitter to participate. If you follow my blog these posts and my other ramblings will be sent to remind you.)
2. The challenge will be to write about the topic using
10 x “I remember statements”
150 x words (prose or poetry)
Either will make you pick and choose your words carefully whilst keeping a tight focus for time’s sake. You might want to write more, to keep at home or include in a fuller blog post, but please only submit one option within my comments section (i.e. 10 statements or 150 word prose/poem).
3. You will have two weeks to share your ‘Bite’ – in either of two ways:
a) Post your response in the comments section of the current topic – If you are a first-time commenter on my blog, WordPress will filter this so I can check for spam and you may not see your comment appear immediately.
b) If you have a blog you can post your response on your own blog and provide the link in the comments section of the challenge you’re responding. Please also link back to the relevant Bite Size prompt, in your post.
A few rules:
1. If you need or want to be anonymous that’s absolutely fine – When you post a comment just put ‘Anon’ or a nickname in the name field. It does ask for an email address as part of spam filtering but only I see it and I promise I will not write to you or share it anywhere!
2. Please keep others anonymous to protect their privacy and dignity – change names, perhaps locations or use initials etc.
3. If you stumble across a prompt after the deadline, what the heck! Feel free to have a go – I’ll get to read it even if others have moved on to a later prompt!
Above all, have fun!
Bite Size Memoir Logo
You can quickly find the latest BiteSize prompt whenever you visit my blog by clicking on this logo at the top right of the page.